Therapy FAQs

What is an MFT?

An MFT, which stands for Marriage and Family Therapist, is a psychotherapist who has been licensed by the California State Board of Behavioral Science.  The candidate must have a Masters Degree in the field of Psychology; must complete 3,000 supervised clinical hours; and then must pass a series of State Board examinations.   Additionally, after receiving the license, the MFT is required to complete 36 hours of continuing education units every two years.

What is Psychotherapy?

Psychotherapy is a process for helping you feel better.  There are many schools of psychotherapy, including Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioral, Brief therapy, among many others.  Although the methods are different, all have the common goal of helping relieve the symptoms that are troubling you. 

What school of psychotherapy do you use?

From my years of experience, I have found that we are all products of our history. Old rules that we learned no longer work for us.  Over time, these rules have become so ingrained that we act automatically; they have become unconscious. Psychodynamic therapy is the method I generally use because it helps you understand these old rules and patterns of behavior, then replace them with more effective ways of relating to yourself and others. In addition to psychodynamic therapy, I may also use other methods, when appropriate.

When should I see a Psychiatrist?

A psychiatrist is an MD who has specialized in psychiatry and pharmacology. Sometimes, in addition to psychotherapy, a person requires medication.  The psychiatrist works with a patient to find the best medication for them.  Equally important, the psychiatrist works with the psychotherapist to coordinate treatment, so the patient receives the best possible help.

Do you treat eating disorders?

I work with people who struggle to lose weight and/or keep it off.  In therapy, we take a look at the emotional issues that keep someone going back to food.  We also look at behavioral changes necessary for successful weight management.